When you need a carpet cleaning service, a Google search can turn up hundreds of options in your area. To get the maximum life out of your carpet, you will need to have them cleaned at every 12 to 18 months, depending on the activity level of your household. So, you want to choose a carpet cleaning service you can rely and trust to work with you over the years to keep your carpets in tip top shape.
Unfortunately, if you don’t choose wisely and get a carpet cleaning service that is inexperienced or uses the wrong equipment, they can seriously damage your carpets. Fortunately, as in choosing most any major service provider for your house maintenance, there are some questions you should ask to make sure you hire the right company.
What to Ask When Hiring a Carpet Cleaning Service
1. Do You Use a Hot Water Extraction or a Bonnet Cleaning Method?
These are two very common carpet cleaning systems that professional carpet cleaners use. In the bonnet cleaning method, they use a large cotton “bonnet” with a floor polisher that rotates to absorb dirt from the carpet. One of the largest carpet manufacturers, Shaw Industries, recommends against using a Bonnet cleaning system.
Shaw cites three disadvantages to bonnet cleaning:
- It has limited capacity for soil removal
- Leaves much of the detergent in the carpet as it does not use any extraction method, which causes carpeting to re-soil more rapidly
- Does not get down deep into the carpet and is really just a surface cleaner
Shaw recommends the hot water extraction carpet cleaning method. A professional using this method will apply a cleaning agent and use water coming from the extractor to remove the solution and the soil from the carpet.
2. Do You Use a Truck Mounted or Portable Cleaning Unit
When you hire and pay for a professional carpet cleaning service, you want to make sure that they are using equipment that is of the best quality. Portable units are simply not as powerful as truck mounted systems. Truck mounted systems have much higher pressure, which allows the solution to be powerfully shot into the carpet, which more effectively removes bacteria, dirt, pollens and soils. It also then has the vacuum strength to completely draw all of this back out of your carpet, leaving no residue.
3. Are Your Technicians Certified?
Having the right equipment is only half of the battle. You want a company that has the right credentials to do the job professionally. If the carpet cleaning service does not require their technicians to get the right training, they can actually damage your carpet, so you really should look elsewhere. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC) offers a certification in carpet cleaning that is the industry standard and is the equivalent of a degree. They are given extensive hands on training and tests before becoming certified.
4. Do You Offer a Money Back Guarantee?
If you are not completely satisfied with the job that your carpet cleaning service does, you should not have to pay for it. Any top quality carpet cleaning professional will guarantee their services. Make sure to read the fine print on the guarantee so that you don’t buy into one that is “limited.”
5. Can You Give Me Some Referrals from Previous Customers
A great measure of whether a carpet cleaning service is really a top notch professional is if they have truly satisfied customers. Fortunately, with review sites like Yelp and Google Plus, the consumer is in a much better position to see if customers are pleased with a company’s services. Take the time to read some of their reviews, but also do not be shy to ask for previous customers you can talk to. A professional that is proud of his work will be happy to have you talk to their customers.
At Colorado Carpet Masters, we sincerely hope that you will ask us all of these questions and more when you call.
We are proud to say that:
- We use the best quality water extraction method, including the state of the art Rotoc Vac 360i. The cleaning mechanism is specially patented and has extremely powerful injectors and suction systems. This is a significant step beyond a hot water extraction system that just uses a manual wand. The RotoVac is really a “power tool”. Comparing it to a wand is like comparing a skill saw to a hand saw. With two counter-rotating heads, each with three spray heads and three vacuum heads, it gives 1,500 counter rotating passes per minute. This results in far superior cleaning ability.
- We use a truck mounted system.
- Our technicians are all certified.
- We offer not just a money back guarantee, but a 200% risk free guarantee. This means that if you are not happy with our work, we will re-clean the area and if you are still not satisfied, we will refund your money AND pay for another company to clean your carpets.
- We will happily give you names and contact information for customers who have used our services.
Colorado Carpet Masters wants our customers to be very well informed about carpet cleaning services. We are confident after you have done your research and asked all the right questions, you will find that we match up to and exceed the standards to the top quality, professional carpet cleaning services. Contact us today!